Monday, November 16, 2009

A different look at Ushuaia

When I was last in Ushuaia, it was the middle of March at the end of the summer, and the snow had melted off of most of the Patagonian mountains surrounding the town. In November, the spring snow is still covering the range and tomorrow we'll be hiking in it up to our knees when we climb up towards what is left of the Martial Glacier. Another difference at this time of year is the sunlight. Dawn breaks around 5am, and the sun doesn't go down until about 10:30pm. In Antarctica, the daylight will be even longer.

It's been a pretty relaxing couple of days, and until the expedition members began arriving this afternoon, I spent most of my time hanging out with the other team leaders, discussing the agenda for the leadership program I'll be helping to facilitate on the boat.

Now that everyone is here, it's hit me that this is actually happening. It's also presenting me with moments of déjà vu, and I fondly remember this time only a year and a half ago when I was the one arriving with that look of excitement on my face and meeting strangers that would become my close friends. I still have that excitement, and undoubtedly have already said hello to people today that I will know for the rest of my life.  

It's 8:45 and I'm off to dinner…considering whether or not to put on sunscreen.



No comments:

Post a Comment