Sunday, March 18, 2012

The New Curriculum: Frozen Planet

Discovery's "Frozen Planet" premiered tonight in the US and in my opinion, should be required viewing for everyone. I'm often asked by people, mostly adults, if I ever see polar bears on my trips to the Antarctic. While I know this is not possible because polar bears are in the North, while penguins are in the South, I've always been fascinated by how many people don't know this. Then I realized that anyone over about 20 years old really never got much of a polar education in school. That changed once climate change began entering conversation, and most kids today know exactly where the polar bears reside. Just an interesting observation, in my opinion...

Regardless, watch Frozen Planet...it's awesome.

Frozen Planet on Discovery

1 comment:

  1. What I saw last night bordered on unbelievable. The photography alone was magnificent, not to mention what it showed us. With Lauren having just returned from Antarctica, it certainly was timely and gave me, vicariously, at least a taste of the experiences she's had there. She is absolutely correct that the world in in serious need of education. What became so clear to me watching it was that life force operating in Nature does just fine on its own. It is perfection. It's only when humans get in the way that things begin to go haywire. With increased consciousness among us and an awareness that nothing we do is without consequences, there is still hope that we can assist Nature, not hinder it. In the end, Nature will win out anyway.

    ReplyDelete